Can I feed my baby with honey?

Views: 80922

Infant botulism is caused by a toxin (a poison) from Clostridium botulinum bacteria, which live in soil and dust. The bacteria can get on surfaces like carpets and floors and also can contaminate honey. That's why babies younger than 1 year old should never be given honey.

These bacteria are harmless to older kids and adults. That's because their mature digestive systems can move the toxins through the body before they cause harm. Infant botulism usually affects babies who are 3 weeks to 6 months old. But all babies are at risk for it until their first birthday.

didn’t get the answer you were looking for?

contact us